You are looking at a STUNNING Lionel Reading T-1 4-8-4 Steam engine and tender. This is a nice quality steam engine, very heavy and over 27".
Rumor has it, this was a personal pet project of then owner Richard Kughn. It was offered in the year-end Holiday Collector Catalog for 1989. It was the largest steam engine Lionel had made to date at that time. I believe it was the FIRST large engine to feature Railsounds as well.
- Die cast
- Super detailed die-cast metal cab and tender
- Smoking stack and steam chest
- Operating headlight,
- Operating backup light,
Electronic Railsounds (first generation Railsounds)
Chuff, whistle, bell
- Chuff, whistle, bell
- Switch for shutting Electronic Sound of Steam off or on
- Powerful pullmor motor,
- Spoked drivers with metal rims,
- Metal handrails on the locomotive and tender,
- Remote controlled forward, neutral and reverse operation,
- An opening boiler front,
- Metal wheels,
- Operating die-cast metal knuckle coupler on the tender,
- six wheel die-cast metal trucks,
- detailed coal load
- authentic Reading markings
- Road #2100
- 27" Long
- It operates on O-42 or wider track.
NOTE that this early Railsounds, called "Electronic Railsounds" has chuffing sound of steam and digitized whistle and bell. It is cool, but may not be the speaker-blowing digital recordings of more recent years.
CONDITION: C7+.Engine and tender look great. Tested and runs well. Smoke unit and sounds work. Like all the earlier Lionel smoke units, it works best after you get the voltage up. Box is here and is in nice shape.